Update: I enlisted the help of Alex Sanchez of Spanish restaurant Niajo and Kenny Lew and Vina Wei of that’s Beijing magazine, who happened to be present at Kro’s Nest during coffee break and ensured ample witnesses for a fair contest. We held one draw, which included all legitimate entries, for three pairs of tickets, plus lunch or dinner, to the Hilton Beijing Food & Wine Experience. The winners: Johann, Kirby and Andy. The winner of our early bird draw was Andrew P.
We held a second draw for the grand prize of two tickets, with lunch or dinner, plus an overnight stay in the presidential suite and next-day breakfast for two. The nine finalists for the draw: Kirby, Zerlina, OM, Ivan, Johann, Mike, Sarah, Nick and Andrew. I wrote the names on paper slips, Sanchez mixed them and Wei picked the winner. This year’s grand prize winner: Sarah Johnston.
Congratulations to the winners and thank you to the participants and to Sanchez, Lew and Wei. Thank you also to Hilton Beijing for providing such excellent prizes. The Food & Wine Experience is this Saturday, from 1 PM to 7 PM. Tickets are rmb190 and get you access to more than 1000 wines plus beers, spirits and snacks. Pay rmb280 and your ticket includes either lunch (until 2 PM) or dinner (5:30 PM to 7 PM) buffet. Hope to see you there!
You can find all the entries to the contest below, covering everyone from Xi Jinping to Winston Churchill to Hassan Rouhani to John F. Kennedy.
Why stumble home from the Hilton Beijing if you can saunter up to the presidential suite? (Yeah, that’s a rhetorical question.)
I’m teaming with the Hilton on a contest for the sixteenth vintage of its Food & Wine Experience, slated for November 2.
The grand prize: two tickets, including lunch or dinner, to the Food & Wine Experience, an overnight stay in the presidential suite, and next-day breakfast for two. We’ll also give away four pairs of tickets, including lunch or dinner (details below).
The Food & Wine Experience includes over a thousand wines as well as food, beer and spirit vendors and classes. The event is from 1 PM to 7 PM on November 2. Tickets are rmb190, or rmb280 with buffet lunch (until 2 PM) or dinner (5:30-7 PM). For tickets or info, email shirley.shi1 (at) hilton.com.
On to the contest!
In years past, we asked you to pick a “party of five” for the presidential suite (2012), create an event slogan (2011), share a memorable wine experience (2009), tell us your ideal wine-drinking partner (2008), and — my favorite so far — invent a celebrity wine (2010).
This year’s contest: Tell us what president you want to meet, and why, and the wine you would share. (See the comments for examples.)
You can pick the president of a country, a company or a club, of a university, NGO or sports team, of… you get the idea. The president can be living or dead, real or fictional. We’ll also accept prime ministers, CEOs and mayors. But no vice presidents! We’re strict about that.
- To enter the contest, go to the comments section and tell us your president pick, and why, and the wine you would share.
- You can enter the contest up to three times. Leave each entry as a separate comment.
- The entry deadline is 1 PM on October 29.
- On October 21, all entries to that point will be put into a draw for a pair of tickets, including lunch or dinner, for the Food & Wine Experience.
- On October 29, we will pick the ten best entries. We will draw one as the grand prize winner of two tickets, plus an overnight stay with a guest in the presidential suite, plus next-day breakfast for two. We will announce the winner’s name that night.
- We will also put all entries into a draw for three pairs of tickets, including lunch or dinner.
- Note: If the presidential suite is booked on November 2, the grand prize winner and guest will get an overnight stay in a regular suite and use of the presidential suite on another night. That means two stays in the Hilton Beijing.
If you have any questions, let me know at beijingboyce (at) yahoo.com.
Whether you win tickets or not, I recommend checking out the Hilton Beijing Food & Wine Experience. I have been going to this event since 2005 and always have a memorable time.