Stopped in last weekend at Friend — in the former Heaven Supermarket space — where one patron could not help but climb the stairway to (the former Heaven) roof. Not advised for the mildly inebriated or those who want to stay on the friendlier side of the owner. Also of note:
- The drinks menu has more than 50 beers. We went with Maredsous 6 at rmb35 per bottle. You can also opt for spirits and wines.
- The food includes Mexican eats from Heaven along with pizza and other pub grub. Two Guys and a Pie is across from the street.
- Friend is a cozy size with bar seating, sofa seating and a mess of chairs in the middle that looks like it came from a hotel function room and will hopefully be replaced with high tables. The upgraded toilet includes a squatter and sink.
- The place has two TV and one projection screens, with NHL an option. One patron said, “If they play the AFL, I’ll hang out here.”
- Foes of loud dice games beware. We even ended up in one. Tip: Calling seven threes when there are only five dice is a sure way to lose.
A light crowd on this night, with two tables of Chinese customers and a trio from The Philippines at the bar, but it is early days and this seems like it will become a decent place to grab a drink and watch some sports. It might not become your bar equivalent of a BFF but will do as a fair-weather buddy.