[Note: See the list of winners here.]
Spending six hours sipping wines and nibbling snacks at a five-star hotel is fun.
Staying overnight at that hotel, instead of stumbling home, is even better.
And spending that night not in any room, but in the presidential suite, with breakfast the next day?
Tough one. But if you ask me, I’d qualify that as pretty freaking awesome.
Good news if you agree, because I’m teaming up with Beijing Hilton for the fifth straight year on a contest for the Food & Wine Experience.
The Grand Prize
- Two tickets to Beijing Hilton Food & Wine Experience XV on October 27
- Dinner for two at One East or Elements restaurant on October 27
- An overnight stay in the presidential suite on October 27
- Breakfast for two at Elements restaurant on October 28
- Nine pairs of tickets, some awarded on merit, some based on pure luck
It’s called “Party of Five“. You simply tell us your ideal guests if you had the presidential suite — and why. Your Party of Five must include:
- One guest living in China
- One guest from abroad
- One family member / friend
- One celebrity
That’s only four people, right? We are also counting you, so that’s five.
Here’s a sample entry:
- One guest from abroad: I’m inviting Big Bird. It’s been a tough few weeks for this Sesame Street resident and a nice trip to China would cheer him up. I’m getting a case or two of YellowTail for the big guy.
- One guest living in China: The Grape Mascot from the recent festival in Ningxia. If someone said, “Make me a mascot from a grape festival and make it look happier than a group of nouveau riche kids sucking down a dozen bottles of Lafite 82 through straws”, I don’t think anyone could do better. No way this guy will let the night be a downer.
- One friend: I’m going with Zimbu, the Beanie Baby monkey my friend Jen gave me to “look after” more than a decade ago. Zimbu has been part of numerous Halloween costumes and has a proven ability to absorb spilled wine. In terms of drinking, Zimbu swings to banana liqueur.
- One celebrity: I have to go with Hello Kitty. High status, low consumption, given the lack of a mouth. That means more wine for the rest of us.
That’s my entry for what I affectionately call my Party of WTFive. Yours can be longer, shorter, whatever you like. And of course, photo optional.
How to Enter
- Go to the comments section and tell us your Party of Five. You can enter up to three times but please put each entry as a separate comment.
- The deadline for entering is October 22 at noon.
- I will work with the Hilton Beijing to choose what we think are the top five entries. We will hold a draw to pick the grand prize winner, who gets the tickets, dinner, breakfast and presidential suite stay. Each of the other top five entries gets a pair of tickets, including lunch or dinner, to the Food & Wine Experience.
- There will also be a draw for five pairs of tickets (sans lunch or dinner), so even if you don’t make the top five, you can still win.
- In cases where we cannot decide between two entries for the top five draw, we will choose the one posted earlier. Thus, timing could matter.
- Use of the presidential is only valid on the night of October 27.
I’m probably forgetting something. I’ll insert it here if I remember.