Canada Grade-Eh Week in Beijing — June 25 to July 1 — isn’t just about restaurants and bars owned, managed or staffed by Canucks. We also have friends of Grade Eh Week participating. Here are two more: Irish Volunteer and Flamme.
THE IRISH VOLUNTEER
George Smith, Gar Nunan & Rob Korfage
The Irish Volunteer has supported the Canuck community over the years with its down-home atmosphere and steady stream of hockey coverage. I’ll never forget being among the 80+ people squeezed into the Volunteer for that epic ulcer-inducing gold medal Olympic hockey game between Canada and the United States in 2010. Took five years off my life. Anyway, during Grade-Eh Week, the Volunteer will have some food and drink specials. There will be drinks with Canadian content:
- Moosehead lager (rmb20)
- Iced Tim Hortons coffee (rmb15)
- Iced Tim Horton’s coffee with Bailey’s (rmb35)
Drinks with hockey themes:
- The Penalty Shot (rmb10): An ice-cold shot of vodka.
- Icing (rmb15): Vodka on the rocks with a splash of orange juice, grapefruit juice or tonic)
- Dump and Chase (rmb30): A small Tsingtao followed by a shot of vodka, whisky or tequila.
- The Canadian: With bacon, pepperoni and mushrooms
- The Sedin Twins: Pick any two meats from among ham, spicy salami, pepperoni and ground beef (too bad they weren’t triplets)
- The Larry Robinson a.k.a. The Big Bird: BBQ chicken topped pizza. (George Smith says the Volunteer cooks its own big birds.)
(Note: Canadian and Sedin Twins pizzas are rmb50 for 9-inch, rmb66 for 12-inch, rmb90 for 15-inch and rmb122 for 19-inch. Big Bird pizzas are rmb45, rmb60, rmb80 and rmb100 respectively.)
For one night only — Tuesday, June 26, from 5 PM to 10 PM — English bartender Paul Mathew will sail the Atlantic (figuratively, of course) to make Canadian-themed cocktails
while wearing a Mountie outfit and reciting Gordon Lightfoot lyrics. He says that, along with all of Flamme’s regular drinks, you can request:
- The Canadian Cocktail: Whiskey, triple sec, bitters and simple syrup. (You might want to specify how dry you want it.)
- The Quebec: Whisky, vermouth (or Dubonnet red) and angostura bitters.
- The Canadian Old-Fashioned: With Canadian Club and maple syrup.
And if you order before 7:30 PM, drinks are half-price
See this post from other friends of Canada Grade-Eh Week, including Home Plate BBQ, The Box, 12SQM and Paddy O’Shea’s. And I’ll soon have a master list of everyone who is participating.