Give the Hilton Beijing credit for providing something for everyone with its annual events. Vino fans have more than a thousand bottles to sample at the Wine Experience, with the fourteenth edition slated for November 12. Families have the Christmas tree lighting ceremony, which included a Christmas train and a bazaar this year. And on March 26, the cultured can enjoy a mix of modern dance, cutting-edge music, and costume design at the third annual pole dancing contest (entry is RMB99 and includes a drink).
The Beijing Hilton also held is second annual pancake race last week. About a dozen contestants took on a pretty tough course. From what I remember, each contestant had to cook a pancake and then flip it while:
- Hopping on one foot through eight hoops,
- Climbing through a luggage trolley,
- Completing a four-stage ring toss,
- Running 100 meters through the revolving door, around the side of the building, into the new wing and back through the lobby;
- Doing ten rotations with a hula hoop atop the concierge desk;
- Riding a stationary bike,
- Crawling through a hoop,
- Weaving a ball through a series of pylons.
The goal is to complete the course in under four minutes while doing as many pancake flips as possible. The winner was Keith Frymark with 213 tosses, followed by Philipp Schleiffe with 178 tosses and Anny An with 131 tosses.
Good times, especially with RMB10 soft drinks, beer, wine, and pancakes. By the way, to the people who told me they thought the 6 PM start too early given traffic, it sounds like the race will be held a bit later next year….
(Note: All photos courtesy of Hilton Beijing)