Six comments about a visit to Club Le ZaZou an hour ago, just ahead of its 9 PM opening, and a talk with head of PR, Angelique (hat tip to Andy at Union for the intro):
1. I have been working on a post about how when I have business acquaintances or friends in town, it rolls around to 2 AM and the question comes up, “Where should we go?” Some of the current options – Chocolate, Maggie’s, Suzie Wong, et al – don’t always fit the bill. What I want is a nice lounge, kind of a Q Bar but that stays open late. This place might be it. The lounge has plenty of plush armchairs and sofas, done in a wide range of neutral to warm colors, from off-whites and tans to mochas and chocolates, with plenty of space in between. And Angelique says the place will be open until 5 or 6 AM.
2. Le ZaZou is huge at 1040 square meters (I don’t even want to know what the rent is). It is divided into more than a half-dozen areas – the lounge area, a Champagne bar, a vodka bar, an area with a DJ booth and dance space, several private rooms, and a second floor with a bar on one side and a dining room – focused: French fusion cuisine – at the other.
3. It will have a Perrier-Jouet Champagne bar – Angelique says it is the first is Asia. In a town dominated by Moet and Mumm’s, this is good to see.
4. I am told the drinks will be cheaper than at Xiu, more along the lines of Suzie Wong. There will be free vodka cocktails at the Absolut bar from 8 PM to midnight for the next two weeks.
5. There is a noticeable and welcome lack of neon.
6. The place will have live music. Up tomorrow night: The Verse.
My first thought on hearing about this place was to imagine yet another overdone oversized undercapitalized establishment, and in a mall no less. My first impression is that Le Zazou is far more subtle than I expected, the space is nicely divided, and it is doing something a bit different, with the Perrier-Jouet bar an example. If it can provide an alternative to places such as Xiu and, even better, a relaxed late-night option, it should have positive spinoff effects for other places on that third floor. But that’s an “if” – the real task is always getting people in the door…
Massive “cocktails / fine dining / live music / sexy grooves” establishment Club Le ZaZou kicks off a “2-Week Long Glamorous Soft Opening” tonight at 10 PM on the third floor of Sanlitun Village. The club will have free Absolut cocktails until midnight as well as a two-for-one on bottles of Perrier-Jouet Champagne and “sexy funky house” music. As the flyer states, “Party deep with your friends and loved ones.”
I’m at Union, so I’ll pop over now and report back if there is any additional news, such as the club’s definition of deep.